CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jacob Ladd

We have now had Jacob in our family for 6 weeks.  Our home feels complete for the time being, and the beautiful spirit that accompanies a new baby is present every day. There is something magnificent about a new baby still so connected with heaven
.
Last year on New Years Eve, my husband and I pleaded once again with the Lord for more children. Through the power of the priesthood, I was promised that in the upcoming year we would be blessed in the way of growing our family. I remember laughing (which I have repented for numerous times) and saying, "Just watch! He is going to make us wait until next December," to which my faithful husband replied, "Well at least He didn't say soon, meaning in this lifetime some time."

We got all of our adoption paperwork done, and our profile went live on my birthday in May. When we put our paperwork in for our first adoption, we were chosen three weeks later, so when three weeks passed, and then 3 months passed, and time kept going, I started to panic. I wanted another baby, and I pleaded countless times for the promise to come to pass.

In the meantime, we presented to a group of birth mothers at an adoption conference and we met Gayla. She and her husband had adopted, but they had also gone to the Czech Republic to do in vitro, and had conceived and had a healthy baby boy. In Vitro in the Czech Republic meands two weeks in Europe, in a hotel, with medications, and the procedure for cheaper than starting costs in America. So, even if it didn't work, who can complain about two weeks in Europe? Mom Johnson bought a ticket to come spend those two weeks with our boys. We were headed to Europe!

At the same time our medications got held up in California by the FDA, who would later destroy or send them back, our social worker Hannah called us.
"Brandi, this is the call you've been waiting for."
In a little disbelief, I kept great control of my emotions. "Really?"
"We have a birth mother who wants to meet you."
At this moment I think,' by the time I get back from the Czech Republic, hopefully pregnant with twins, and she is ready to deliver, she won't choose us because I will be pregnant."
Hannah continued, "She is due in ten days on November 8th. She is having a girl,(hee hee!) and she wants to meet you this Saturday." (it was Wednesday)

I was filled with so much peace. I called David, and we marveled at the tender mercies of a loving Heavenly Father. We debated going or staying, and finally settled on what Mom Johnson called, "a baby in hand is better than two in the petri dish." So true!

Nicole and Toni came to visit, and the time together was meant to be. The baby started to kick and Nicole said, come here and feel the baby kick. This was a tender moment for me, and I cried at the beauty of life that would soon join our family. Nicole looked at her tummy and said, "This is your new mommy." No words can express the moment that another individual offers you something you can't give yourself.

Nicole later told us that when they left, Hannah offered to give her other profiles to look at, but she declined and said that she already knew what she wanted.

We were able to go to two ultrasound appointments with Nicole before Jacob was born.

In the plan of happiness, as it relates to our family, miracles have never ceased. We have been blessed more abundantly than we could have ever asked for.

We love you Nicole. This year as we watch our big boys open their Christmas presents, we will be holding ours in our arms. We love you Jacob Ladd.

10 comments:

Julie B. said...

Oh Brandi! I am truly happy for you and your family. It feels like yesterday when I heard John's sweet birth mother say those wonderful words of "you are the one".
Ed said to be sure and tell James Maxwell hello and that he hopes that he is doing well.

Julie said...

The most wonderful gift of all! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. :)

Franklin Family said...

What a wonderful story!

This may be a silly question - but I couldn't tell from the story. Did you guys end up going to Europe and trying invitro over there?

He's a very lucky boy to have you as his mama.

Frasure Family said...

That is so awesome!! I am so happy for you!! Jacob will be loved unconditionally by his brothers and parents!! It is amazing how we have to be patient and wait on the Lord's time!

Jay and Sherrie said...

You are so talented with words. We are so happy for your wonderful family. We love you guys.

We love Jacob so much and can't wait to meet him.

Wendy-n-Jason said...

Brandi you are so amazing with words. I can't wait to meet little Jacob, AND Henry, and see little Lincoln who isn't so little anymore.

Erika said...

That is such a great story! What a great birth mom. I almost cried just reading the story!

Jena said...

Yeah, very weepy. Thank you for sharing that story!

Unknown said...

Brandi,
First of all, congrats on your new addition! That is such wonderful news! Second of all, thank you so much for being interested in helping me with the Diabetes HOPE Project. I didn't know how else to contact you other than through your blog. Please email me at maria@mariamercer.com so we can chat more thoroughly.

Also, are you in the Trendwood ward in Lincoln?

~Maria

Rapp Family said...

I'm so thrilled to see your family grow. You both deserve the best, and the Lord is truly blessing you. What lucky children to be in your home. Enjoy your newborn!!