CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

I love to see the temple!

I Love to See the Temple.

So, for Spring Break, we took the opportunity to go to Nauvoo. As we drove into the city, I could feel the spirit testify to me that this was truly a city built on the foundation of sacrifice, faith, and dedication to the Lord.



I was delighted to see my life long girl friend, Carlie. We had the opportunity to go to the temple together. My heart was full of joy as we sat together. It felt to me, like Alma must have felt when he met up with the sons of Mosiah, and "they were still his brethren in the Lord."



When we drove up to the temple, Lincoln was beyond excitement.
As a mother, I cannot express the joy I felt as our son exclaimed, "Look Mama, look Daddy, a temple."



In our two days there, I was brought to tears many times.
This was a place deeply rooted with faith; a place that stands as a testimony of the saints who made building the kingdom of God their ultimate goal. We spent a beautiful morning walking down the Trail of Hope, also called the Trail of Tears. Of this very spot, M.Russell Ballard said,

"One of those who traveled the Mormon Trail in 1847 referred to it as the “trail of hope.” I love that title: “trail of hope.” It speaks of the universal yearning of each person to find a safe haven, a community of Saints where hearts are united and hope prevails. No matter how difficult the trail, and regardless of how heavy our load, we can take comfort in knowing that others before us have borne life’s most grievous trials and tragedies by looking to heaven for peace, comfort, and hopeful assurance." (You Have Nothing to Fear from the Journey”)



Being there gave me a wonderful opportunity to reflect on my life, and I was able to find that comfort of which Elder Ballard spoke.

Today, I would like to share three lessons that the pioneers in my life have taught me:

Sacrifice: taught by Mom.



In case you don't know or cannot tell, this is my mom. From my mom, I learned the true meaning of sacrifice. She had four kids in five years. She put her dreams on hold, and pursued a life loving her children. She NEVER missed any activity we ever did. Not one soccer game, debate competition, band concert, Choir tour, etc. She made it her priority to be available so we always could go back to one simple truth:

She loved us.
She is a pioneer.
She didn't cross the plains, but she has hurdled mountains.
I love you Mom.

Immense Faith: taught by Dad.



This is my dad. If anyone has faith in the restored gospel and a living Savior, it is my dad. Any lesson he ever taught ALWAYS started with his testimony. Everyone in the room knew right from the start that my dad knew Jesus Christ lived.

He is a pioneer.
He didn't give his life in Carthage jail.
But, he would have had he been asked.

I love you Dad.


Dedication to the Lord: taught by David



I would first like to say how grateful I am for this miracle in my life; my sweetheart. He has been the answer to every promise I have ever been given. I am eternally grateful to his parents who raised him to love the Lord and serve with all his might. I remember kneeling across the altar from my eternal companion. I had it reaffirmed to me that day that the Lord was pleased with my choice.

He has honored every covenant and promise he has made.

He is a pioneer.
He didn't cross the Mississippi River, but he crossed the street to help the neighbors move in.
He didn't leave his wife and son to serve a mission, but He shared the gospel with, and baptized a friend.
He didn't lose his house to persecution, but he has lost himself in dedication to the Lord.

I love you David.
Tons Bit.


Needless to say, I witnessed miracle after miracle during our visit.

I Love to See the Temple.

3 comments:

Shauni said...

That looks like a great trip, Brandi.

We've decided to make our blog private, but I don't think I have your correct email address to send you an invite. Please email me at shaunihawkins@msn.com. Thanks!

Grandma H said...

Brandi - It seems we had the same idea as to how to spend Spring break. Too bad we didn't run into you in Nauvoo! I thought of calling you and stopping in but there were so many places that we wanted to be and see that our time was a little tight for the additional drive to Lincoln. Hope you had as much fun as we did. Isn't the Nauvoo temple an amazing structure? Love ya', Aunt Margaret

Carlie said...

so good to see you sis, and i feel the same way, that we are still sisteren in the Lord.