CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Adoption throughout my life: part III continued

A tribute to our Joanie Girl
This is a tribute to our Joanie.
We have loved this girl from the start.
We have no words to describe what we feel at this time.
How do you thank someone for the most precious gift;
the gift of life;
the gift of love;
the gift of sacrifice.

Joanie,

Today is about celebrating you.
For you, the idea of celebrating must be bittersweet.
When we first met, you mentioned that someday
you wanted to have a family.
You wanted a husband and kids

In the last few months, your world has changed. You didn't have a husband, but...

you were having a baby.

Anthony was long gone and yet, you carried this baby for nine long months (plus an extra day). You endured through morning sickeness, cravings, the weight gain, and the looks from the people in your small town.
You endured the pains of labor.

Then, after all of that...

You made an eternal choice
A sacrifice
And we all shed tears.
Tears of uncertainty.
Tears for this beautiful new life.
Tears of joy.
Tears of separation.
Tears.
Lots and lots of tears.

Why, you ask, are we celebrating?

Often times over the past year and a half, I have often felt as Rachel did. Rachel's womb was closed and she exclaimed, "give me a child or else I die."

We celebrate you today for your decision. Your sacrifice has softened that burden, and your maturity astounds us.

Now, I know a thank you won't take away your tears. And, I know a smile won't silence all your fears.

So, you listen, and I'll talk about today;

the day we celebrate you.

First Joanie Girl, you beat the odds. Abortion rates with teenage, unplanned pregnancy, are skyrocketing and young mother's keeping their babies is on the rise.

Your best girls friends tried to convince you to keep the baby,
Even some of your family ridiculed your decision to place the baby.

and yet...

You WERE brave.

It was a tough road.
We waited as you started to work through the grieving process.
We waited as you went searching for the strength to place.

I don't know what that must have been like.
BUT
I am so grateful that you chose to be part of the 1%,
that tiny number,
who went forward with the pregnancy,
and decided to do what was best for the baby

You decided to place sweet Henry for adoption.

Your mother passed away when you were 13. She was a single mother, and you told me that as much as you loved her, and as good of a job as she tried to do, you didn't want this sweet boy to be put in daycare with a mother who worked fast food to tray and make ends meet. Your wisdome surpasses your age; something we are extremely grateful for.

You are enrolled in college. By age 21, you will have a degree. With an education, your opportunitites will be innumberable.

Joanie, you will be a pioneer in your family; the first one with a college degree.

You are a miracle.

Each day, I will thank God for a brave young woman; a pioneer; a young woman who didn't conform to the crowd; a young woman who desires to have a family in the right time; a young woman who values education; a young woman who let me love again.

Today Joanie, we celebrate you.

Don't worry, I will always give him two hugs and two kisses.

Thank you Joanie for this precious gift.

We Love You.

And today and always,

We Celebrate You.

6 comments:

Franklin Family said...

This is beautiful. You have so much love - how could she not give her child to your loving family? I can't wait to see pictures of this sweet boy!

Shauni said...

You're making me cry again! :)

amynewby said...

"Don't worry, I will always give him two hugs and two kisses."

What a wonderful tribute to Joanie. I can't imagine making that kind of decision. When you posted "vascilating" I prayed for you and Joanie. I'm so happy everything worked out and that baby Henry is home with you.

Emilie Hereth said...

I'm so excited for your family! Love you all and can't wait to see pictures

vinestreet said...

hi brandi,
this is really nice; I am so happy for you guys, and for Joanie's decision as well.

ON an unrelated note...I'm curious about section 8....Lincoln doesn't participate in the section 8 home ownership program...so I am wondering what you were referring to on my blog. :)

Brew Crew said...

Two hugs and Two kisses from me and Grandma Dancer....forever and always. I love you.